The screen shot was captured during an actual run and, except for the small
purple box which was added with PhotoFinish to depict the message flow animation (the
screen capture utility we used did not grab the moving boxes), the elements shown are true
to the program. Shown on the screen are some of the main program features:
- The model shown is used to evaluate the workflow elapsed times and the load on a front
end component receiving traffic from an IP based Wide Area network. The screen shows
Prophesys ability to simulate the work generated by customers placing orders via
phone to a data entry operator. i.e Prophesy is not limited to simulating network devices.
- The bars to the right of each icon indicate the resource utilization; the bars to the
left indicate the queue utilization. Red color bars indicate loads over 60%, yellow bars
indicate loads between 30-60%, and green indicates utilization below 30%. The color
assignments are user customizable.
- The panel to the right shows the detailed utilization for resource FRONTEND. Also
displayed is Prophesys histogram function showing how utilization varied during the
- The panel below shows FRONTENDs queue utilization. Notice that the FRONTEND label
also contains the numbers 16:1. This indicates that we are simulating a situation with 16
front end devices (the network is highly loaded). The user can vary this number easily and
play what-if scenarios.
- The panel at the bottom left is a Toolbox showing possible icon-based actions. The
Toolbox allows more direct manipulation of the run by not requiring the use of the menu.
- The USA map in the background is a feature of Prophesy that allows placement of user
defined BMP graphic files.
- The user can expedite or pause the simulation run by clicking on the VCR-like controls
in the upper right of the screen.
Not shown in the screen shot is the Icons menu from which the user can drag
additional icons to expand the network. Also not shown are many other result and input
Back to Abstraction Consulting Home